Pssst, fancy something different, not too sweet, and VERY tangy and tasty on your morning toast? You certainly can’t go past this easy-to-make, unusual Pineapple, Pumpkin, Passionfruit and Apricot Jam. It looks good, and tastes even better! Don’t use the pale, tiny, insipid dried apricots, though – this is worth lashing out on large deep orange dried apricots.
Pumpkin in jam? Ask you mother or grandmother what they did during WW11,and the years of austerity after that! Put it this way – a friend in Dunedin said to me “I keep seeing trucks go into that preserves factory – and they’re full of swedes and pumpkins! There’s no swede jam around, is there?”
So I told her, and now you’ll know. Swede and pumpkin have a certain natural sweetness to them, have the quality of going transparent when boiled, and are excellent as a “filler” for more expensive fruits in jams.
By the way, this jam tastes almost like tropical fruit salad (well, it would, wouldn’t it?) and apricots – totally yummy, and I usually double the recipe as everyone wants some!
250g dried apricots chopped (big fat dark orange ones)
3.5 – 4 cups water
400g chopped pumpkin (approx 3 cups finely diced, even better – GRATED!)
1 kg jam setting sugar (or white sugar)
1/2 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup passionfruit pulp (or substitute with a small can of crushed pineapple)
OR add BOTH – I do!
Soak chopped apricots in water overnight in a large pot.
In the same water and pot, boil the apricots and pumpkin for 20 minutes.
Add the jam setting sugar (or white sugar) and boil for 25 minutes.
Add lemon juice and passionfruit pulp, and pineapple.
Boil for 5 minutes.
Bottle while hot in sterilised jars. Cover when cold.
- 400g chopped pumpkin (approx 3 cups very finely diced, or just grated)
- 250g dried apricots chopped or finely cut into strips with scissors
- 3,5-4 cups water
- 1 kg Jam setting sugar (or white sugar)
- ½ cup lemon juice
- ½ cup passionfruit pulp (or substitute with a small can of crushed pineapple)
- (Or add both - I do!)
- Soak chopped apricots in water overnight, in a large pot.
- In the same water boil the apricots and pumpkin for 20 minutes.
- Add the jam setting sugar, or white sugar
- Boil for another 25 minutes. Add lemon juice and passionfruit.
- Boil for 5 minutes.
- Bottle while hot in sterilised jars.
- Cover when cold.
The original came from Chelsea Sugar NZ, but has been altered to suit my taste.